Sunday, October 15, 2023

Balancing Budo with Life

International Martial Arts Association
Wondering how master martial artists balance their art with their daily lives?

Wayne Muromoto Sensei had this to say:

From my personal experience, trying to find your own balance can be frustrating at times. I wish I could train more myself, but given my work and family responsibilities, I only have a limited amount of free time in a week. I therefore know that I am not progressing as rapidly as I could were I still in Japan, training four nights a week. But I tell myself that I was glad I was young and reckless and did that, but now I am older and have responsibilities, so those days are long past. I will still grow in my skills, only slower. In the meantime, I am also progressing in my work, and my little family is growing as we live and learn and love together.

I’m not saying that you have to abandon martial arts entirely if work or family needs take precedence. I know a budo student who will sometimes get into terrible arguments with his partner because he wants to take one night out of an entire week to train. That’s not an unreasonable request, in my opinion, because training night is basically his one and only social night out “with the gang.” He doesn’t gamble, play golf, drink, or go to parties. He just works and comes home. Asking him to cut off his one and only social engagement is a bit too possessive, I would say. People need a way to blow off steam, to exercise, and to make friends outside of family and work.

Begin Your Balance at an International Martial Arts Association


SMAA can help you make time for budo! We are an international martial arts association. with five divisions of martial arts to pick from. To get started, call (734) 720-0330 or submit a contact form here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anti-Aging and Fitness in Martial Arts

Have you been looking for an enjoyable way to get in shape? Not only are martial arts fun and exciting, but their benefits include anti-agin...